Have you ever lost a cell phone?

I take the train to Union Station, Downtown Los Angeles, two days a month because I volunteer time as a docent, giving tours of the Cathedral of Our Lady and I also man the Plaza Information Booth.
Reaching inside my pocket for my cell phone to take a picture, I realized that my phone was not there. I was panic stricken! Hundreds of contacts, over three thousand pictures, social media accounts, and banking information, ect… lost in seconds! My life’s profile was in the hands of a stranger!

The cost of the phone was the least of my concerns; however, it did cross my mind. It felt like I had been violated, exposed and naked before the world.

Why is privacy so sacred?

Could it be that privacy affords me the opportunity to become who I want to be? To lie to people who don’t know me?  To exaggerate or demean the facts about myself?  Go places I have never been? How much am I really worth?  Privacy becomes a welcome mystery to reality.
Is the fear of exposure real?  In my opinion yes, because there is no hiding the fat, scares, or anything else when you stand naked before someone.

The loss of my phone enlightened me to the dependence and reliance on what I have allowed myself to become accustomed to through technology.

However, above that I was able to consider the reality of privacy, and the hidden transparency of what privacy affords me to become.

The danger is that no privacy may bring a world of transparency that Artificial intelligence (AI) can easily and rationally control through logic, devoid of emotion and our innate ability to communicate through emotion.

Something to consider is that belief systems and faith may be a thing of the past without privacy because nothing can be hidden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Time Traveler